Funding is available to support patients and families who are experiencing extreme financial difficulty as a direct result of their time in hospital. Members of staff employed by Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust may apply, on behalf of a patient being cared for at one of the Trust’s five hospitals, for financial relief of up to £2,000.
Funds must be for a specific purpose to provide a positive impact on patients’ immediate and/or long-term health and welfare needs. Financial relief can be provided to support a patient with transport costs, accommodation, funeral expenses, baby-care essentials, clothing and other critical need items.
How to apply
- Applications must be completed online. Click here to apply via our online application system
- A decision will be made within 48 hours of receipt of an application
- Signatures are required as part of the application process from the applicant, patient and line manager. An application cannot be submitted or considered without obtaining all three signatures first.
- Applications must be submitted on behalf of the patient or family by a member of staff at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. There is an exception for trainee GP contracts with the Royal Free but working at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- The patient must be receiving inpatient or outpatient care at one of the Trust’s five hospitals (Charing Cross, Hammersmith, Queen Charlotte’s & Chelsea, St Mary’s and the Western Eye)
- There must be clear evidence of a real and critical need to provide financial assistance. Having compared the patient’s circumstances with those of the many others they have encountered in the course of their work, the member of staff must be satisfied that the case stands out in terms of both financial hardship and the relief that a grant from the fund might provide
- For both inpatients and outpatients, the financial hardship must be a direct result of their time in hospital
- Up to £2,000 is available per patient. Patients will need to keep proof of purchase receipts for expenditure and complete a receipt log form
- The patient must not previously have received a grant from the fund in the same calendar year. We can consider a repeat grant application after a year but the patient needs to have evidence of worsening financial hardship due to their time in hospital/treatment.
The charity does not fund:
- Unconditional awards
- Rent arrears
- Council tax
- Treatment not covered by the NHS
- Legal aid
- Immigration fees
- Overseas patients.
The charity will fund:
- Hygiene essentials
- Funeral costs
- Essentials (e.g. clothing, laundry)
- White goods (up to £300)
- Utility bills (up to £500). This will only be considered as part of accumulated debt and where it is clear that it would make a significant difference to a patient’s recovery.
This list is not exhaustive. Please contact email@example.com to discuss other financial support requests.
- Applications are accepted year-round with no formal deadlines. The charity strives to assess and respond to applications as soon as possible to meet the immediate need of the patient
- The charity will assess applications and will make an award that is deemed suitable which may be different from the original amount requested
- For any additional information or guidance, please contact the charity’s grants team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 020 3857 9847.