Applications for the 2019/20 round of pre-doctoral and post-doctoral research fellowships will open on 1 October 2018. We accept applications from both Medics and Allied Health Professionals.
As part of our charitable objectives, we are committed to supporting our hospitals to undertake pioneering research and invest in the training and development of hospital staff. The research fellowship programme provides ‘first-step funding’ for health professionals looking to begin their academic career.
The key aim of the programme is to allow the successful applicants to undertake 12 months of research to develop their research skills and produce the necessary data to springboard onto successful funding bids for further study.
Applicants are asked to identify an important research question that will make an impact on patient care within the Trust, surrounding communities and the wider NHS.
Since 2009, together with our funding partner, the NIHR Imperial Biomedical Research Centre, the charity has made a total of 55 fellowships totalling £2.5 million. We have funded research into new and novel diagnostic techniques and treatments, self-management and aftercare, research into service delivery, team dynamics and decision-making, shift handover procedures through to projects on the implementation of clinical guidelines.
How much can I apply for?
The Fellowship provides funding for an individual Fellow’s salary for 12 months and related research expenses. Requests to undertake the Fellowship part-time (no longer than 24 months) are acceptable.
Please note funding has historically been capped at a maximum award of £50,000. However, we are now lifting this cap to be able to support the full cost of an individual’s salary where necessary. If your salary will not be covered by £50,000 please email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of starting an application.
Am I eligible?
These eligibility requirements apply to both schemes:
- Applicants must be employed at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust at the time of application and for the duration of the award. They must currently deliver services and plan to undertake their proposed research project for the benefit of patients at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust (Charing Cross, Hammersmith, Queen Charlotte’s & Chelsea, St Mary’s and/or Western Eye hospitals) and/or surrounding communities.
- Please note you are not eligible to apply if you are employed by Imperial College London only. We will consider honorary and joint contracts on a case by case basis. Please contact email@example.com before beginning an application.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate a commitment to utilising the Fellowship position to undertake further study.
- Applicants must be UK residents.
How to apply
The Research Fellowship scheme will open for applications on 1 October 2018. Applications must be submitted via our online grants management system: Flexigrant. Applications will close on Thursday 31 January 2019 at midday. A funding decision will be made in April 2019.
* Charing Cross, Hammersmith, Queen Charlotte’s & Chelsea, St Mary’s and/or Western Eye hospitals.