Imperial Health Charity is committed to supporting pioneering research and the training and development of staff at our hospitals.
Together with our funding partner, the NIHR Imperial Biomedical Research Centre, we run an annual Research Fellowship scheme. Since 2009, over 55 fellowships have been awarded totalling over £2.5 million. We have funded research into new and novel diagnostic techniques and treatments, self-management and aftercare, research into service delivery, team dynamics and decision-making, shift handover procedures through to projects on the implementation of clinical guidelines.
Applicants are asked to identify an important research question that will make an impact on patient care within the Trust, surrounding communities and the wider NHS.
Pre-Doctoral Research Fellowships are available to Medics and Healthcare Professionals Outside of Medicine (e.g. Nurses, Midwives, Allied Health Professionals, Pharmacists, Research Practitioners, Psychologists and Healthcare Scientists)
Post-Doctoral Research Fellowships are available to Healthcare Professionals Outside of Medicine only.
Applications must be submitted via our online grants management system: Flexigrant. We do not accept hard copy applications. Please click here to access the online application form.
Please ensure you start the correct online application form depending on if you are applying for a pre-doc or post-doc fellowship. Once an application has been started we cannot transfer between the schemes.
- Applications open on Monday 1 October 2018
- Applications close on Thursday 31st January 2019 at midday
- Funding outcome notification early April 2019
- Expected start date Autumn 2019
The funding covers an individual’s salary and related research expenses for one year. Historically the award has been capped at £50,000, however, we are now lifting this cap to be able to support the full cost of an individual’s salary where necessary up to a maximum of £65,000.
These eligibility requirements apply to both schemes:
- Applicants must be working at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust at the time of application. They must currently deliver services and plan to undertake their proposed research project for the benefit of patients at ICHT* and/or surrounding communities.
- *Charing Cross, Hammersmith, Queen Charlotte's & Chelsea, St Mary's and/or Western Eye hospitals.
- Please note you are not eligible to apply if you are employed by Imperial College London only. Applications can only be accepted from NHS employees working within/for ICHT. We will consider honorary and joint contracts with ICL on a case by case basis.
- Applicants must be UK resident.
Please refer to the relevant individual scheme's guidance notes for additional eligibility criteria.
The Fellowship provides funding for an individual Fellow’s salary for 12 months and related research expenses. Requests to undertake the Fellowship part-time (no longer than 24 months) are acceptable.
A progress report 6 months after the Actual Start Date of the project.
An End of Grant Report.
The Charity may contact the successful applicant for a minimum period of 3 years after the end of the grant funding period.
Pre-Doctoral Research Fellowships are available to Medics and Healthcare Professionals Outside of Medicine (e.g. Nurses, Midwives, Allied Health Professionals, Pharmacists, Research Practitioners, Psychologists and Healthcare Scientists).
Post-Doctoral Research Fellowships are available to Healthcare Professionals Outside of Medicine only. (e.g. Nurses, Midwives, Allied Health Professionals, Pharmacists, Research Practitioners, Psychologists and Healthcare Scientists)
For any additional information or guidance please contact the charity grants team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0203 857 9847.