We understand that sometimes the smallest changes can make the biggest difference to a patient’s time in hospital, be it a more relaxing waiting area, better equipment, activities to improve wellbeing or better access to information. The Small Grants Fund provides funding for bright ideas to support staff in improving the patient experience across the Trust’s five hospitals.
Members of Trust staff can apply for projects to improve patient care in their ward, department or across the Trust, and also towards staff amenities where appropriate.
In order to make our support go further we encourage applications of up to £5,000* per project to ensure we can help as many teams and departments as possible over the coming year.
* If you have a project that you believe will make a significant improvement to patient care or service delivery that exceeds the £5,000 cap, please contact the grants team to discuss this before beginning an application.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted via our online grants management system, Flexigrant. We do not accept hard-copy applications. Please click here to access the online application form.
Applications are accepted year-round, and money is ring-fenced on a quarterly basis so there is no advantage to apply early in the year.
Applications can only be submitted by members of staff at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust.
Applications must clearly demonstrate how the funds will improve patient care, services, experience or staff amenity.
- Applicants must have sought support from Divisional Special Purpose Funds (SPF) before making an application to the Small Grants Fund and only apply if there is no suitable SPF available — click here to check if your team or department has access to a Special Purpose Fund
- Applicants must obtain approval from their line manager
- An area (e.g. a clinic, ward, unit, team) can only receive a maximum of £10,000 per financial year, noting priority will be given to first-time requests
- If successful, applicants will be required to submit an End of Grant monitoring and evaluation report.
Please note, the Small Grants Fund cannot support:
- Any item or project that could be funded by a Divisional Special Purpose Fund
- Any item or project that should receive core funding from departmental budgets
- Any item or project that has already been purchased/delivered (no retrospective funding)
- Staff hospitality, meeting or travel expenses
- Payments to individuals
- Research projects
- Any piloting/testing/implementation projects relating to Quality Improvement ideas. Separate funding is available for these projects via the charity’s contribution to the QI Hub (please read the Source for further information).