We are looking for people to join a friendly and tight-knit team of volunteers serving members of the public, staff and visitors within our hospital outlets. You’ll provide outstanding and empathetic customer service with a patient, calm and friendly manner. You’ll be proficient in, or willing to learn, to process payments using a till. There will also be opportunities to help fundraise too!
- Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, London, W12 0HS
Hours: Ideally we are looking for individuals who can volunteer at least once a week Mondays to Fridays, from 09:00-13.00 or 13.00-17.00.
Commitment: We are ideally looking for volunteers who can commit to a weekly shift for this role. We also ask volunteers to commit to a minimum of six months with us initially.
What are the main tasks?
- To serve customers a range of products from the hospital, carrying out regular audits of sell-by-dates
- You’ll need to be able to replenish stock, which may involve lifting and carrying. You must be physically fit to be able to do so
- Handling and counting cash
- Assistance with basic housekeeping tasks to ensure smooth running of the shop
- Ad hoc support with fundraising activities and charitable events from time to time
What will you get out of it?
You’ll be volunteering with a close-knit, friendly and welcoming team who are wholly committed to helping patients and visitors. This role will provide you the rare opportunity to have an insight into how these areas of our hospitals function and to see how our incredible Trust staff work. You will gain experience in a hands-on customer service role, and have the opportunity to gain new skills. You will receive training and support from a Volunteering Manager and the Friends Administrator, as well as a huge amount of satisfaction from giving back to your local community by supporting the NHS. In line with our volunteer expenses policy, we will reimburse out of pocket expenses for travel and refreshments and you will be provided with a volunteer uniform to wear during your shifts.
How to apply
Selection and Appointment Process
- We will review and shortlist all applications received, applicants who meet what we are looking for will be invited to interview with a representative from the Friends.
- Interviews will take place to give us a chance to meet potential new volunteers and for them to meet us and see what we do. Roles will be offered to suitable applicants.
- The Volunteering Department will take up two satisfactory references, which we require prior to any new volunteer starting with us. Upon receipt of those, the Volunteering Department will arrange for you to attend a core training day ahead of your start date with us.