Do you enjoy working with others in a team? Do you want to develop new skills? Would you like to volunteer alongside NHS staff at one of London’s busiest hospitals?
We have an exciting opportunity for you to volunteer at Hammersmith Hospital in East Acton this summer as part of our Youth Volunteering Programme.
Working alongside Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, we have developed this role in support of the #iwill campaign for 16–25 year olds.
If you can give a minimum of 30 hours during July and August 2018, apply now to join our team.
About the role
During the programme, you will be a welcoming and friendly face for patients at the hospital. By supporting patient activities and engagement, you will also improve the hospital experience for patients, develop new skills and gain experience in a variety of front-facing roles.
What will I do?
- Spend time chatting with patients and visitors
- Read with and/or play games with patients
- Deliver meals and drinks to patients (does not include feeding or re-positioning)
- Welcome patients and visitors to waiting areas
- Help patients check-in for their appointments using electronic kiosks
- Direct patients and visitors to areas of the hospital
- Assist customers in some of our hospital retail outlets.
What are we looking for?
- A flexible approach and willingness to get stuck in to the role
- The ability to work well with others in a diverse team
- The ability to follow instructions and direction
- A patient, calm, welcoming and friendly manner
- The ability to communicate with members of the public, patients and other volunteers
- The ability to communicate well face-to-face and by email
- Ease and comfort within the hospital environment.
What will I get?
- A one-day hospital Core Training session
- A dedicated Youth Volunteering Manager who will support you in your role
- A volunteer uniform consisting of a purple polo shirt or shirt/blouse and jacket if you’re in a cold area
- Reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses in line with our policy to cover travel and refreshments
- Awards and recognition for the time you volunteer
- Invitation to an end-of-programme celebration event
- Regular communications while you are volunteering
- Ability to achieve the ASDAN short course qualification in volunteering
The Youth Volunteering Programme Summer 2018 starts on Monday 2 July and ends on Friday 24 August.
The Youth Volunteering Programme (Summer 2018) is now closed for applications.
We will also be offering further opportunities for young people to volunteer from September 2018. Please keep an eye on this page for programme updates.